Optimizing Razor Blades Using Plasma Processing
The proposal had two major objectives organized in six (6) work packages.
- The first objective was to develop new manufacturable processes on existing coatings, or new plasma deposited or other coatings.
- The second objective was to develop new characterization methods for the coatings on the razor blade.
We already have some interesting results such as
- Important knowledge was gained on the role of coating hydrophobicity in blade performance.
- Superhydrophobic blades were prepared and evaluated.
- An activation process has been developed and it is used to improve the adhesion of the coatings that are currently under development.
- A new characterization method has been developed. It is a quick screening test done on stack of blades using contact angle measurements.